Snow closing information
The safety of students, faculty and staff is the University's highest priority.
When severe weather threatens our ability to operate safely or when emergencies arise, the president (or their designee) will base their decision to close or cancel classes by based on information from these sources.
- University Police will check the condition of campus sidewalks and parking lots.
- City and county law-enforcement agencies will report road conditions in surrounding areas and the highways.
- The National Weather Service, the Ohio State Patrol and the Summit County Sheriff may issue weather advisories that would inform our decision-making.
Possible closing options and what each means
CAMPUS CLOSED | All campus programs and services cancelled including University Libraries
- Essential operations and services that support residential students will remain open
- Those that support residential students are to report to work at their regularly scheduled times
- Designated emergency personnel are to report to work at their regularly scheduled times
- Dining services would be open with some changes
- The Rec Center usually remains open—check its homepage for hours or cancelations
- E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall events and intercollegiate athletic events are often held when the University is closed; personnel who work those events would report to work
CLASSES CANCELED | The University would open, but classes would not be held. Employees are expected to report to work, and all departmental offices would be open.
As a reminder:
- University Libraries, Dining Services, the Student Union and the Student Recreation and Wellness Center would be open.
- Performances and athletic events would be held as planned
- All other programs and services would be open
A decision to close will be made as early as possible.
News of closing will be disseminated several ways:
- Text messaging: Alerts will be sent via the University's Z-Alert text messaging service. Our quickest way to get you University advisories. Learn more and subscribe.
- Web: Closing information will be posted on the University's home page.
- E-mail: A message will be sent to students' and employees' University email boxes.
- Social media via Twitter.
- Radio and TV: Closing information will be provided to major radio and television stations in Akron, Canton and Cleveland.
- Phone: The University's emergency information phone line is updated as conditions warrant. The number is 330-972-SNOW (7669) or 330-972-6238 (TDD/Voice).
University colleges/departments are encouraged to establish a method for communicating the closing decision to department personnel.
Buchtel Hall on a winter morning.
Photo by @steveekaufman on Twitter.